Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My First 5k!




Last Saturday I completed my first 5k in over 4 years. I did a few 5k fun runs back in the day, but I never did them as a runner. This race started at 7:20am and was a half marathon and 5k. As soon as I got out of the truck to walk over to the pack of people, I felt so out of place. The women were obviously runners and had been running for a lot longer than my short 8 weeks. I started the comparison game and knew I needed to stop. I realized that those runner ladies I was scoping out were there for the 13.1 miles!

The course was pretty flat and the weather was beautiful. I finished the race in 37 minutes. I was 6th out of 13 women in my age category (I'm 35). I felt so good after the race that I went home and signed up for my next one...a 5k trail run up in the mountains in September. I caught the race bug and am even hoping to sign up for the Hot Chocolate 15k in Seattle next March. I have to check my school schedule before I sign up for that though. My little one had to stay at the Ronald McDonald House in Seattle once, so this race raises money for them...it is close to my heart!


All this excitement and then I got an email with my race day photos...and I couldn't believe I looked like that. Needless to say, I didn't place an order for these photos! I had been hoping that running would help me with losing the 20 lbs I have put on since starting nursing school. When I saw the picture, it confirmed that just because I run now, I can't expect to eat crappy and lose the weight. I have gained muscle for sure as my legs are a lot more toned than before, but those extra lbs can only melt away if I start to make good food choices. I felt a little disappointed for a day, but felt renewed as I reminded myself that just 9 weeks ago, I was sitting on the couch with no energy, wondering how I would ever get into shape. Now, I wake up with energy and the desire to run and let my body move.

Comparing ourselves to others just brings us down. Learning to listen to my body and being happy with where I am right here right now is what I get to focus on to be happy. Upward and onward as one of my professors loves to say... for today is a new day full of opportunities to make good choices!


The course for the race followed the Spokane River!
  • Do you have a race that you are wanting to sign up for?

2 comments:

  1. Oh the comparison trap! A constant struggle for me too! Awesome job on your 5k!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! I was reading a book called Racing Weight today and it talked about not being driven to run just to lose weight, but to just love the sport and focus on that. It gave me some needed perspective!

      Delete